Sunday, November 18, 2012

Faces of Service


This morning... Early... I sat in the chapel. Full of young single adults. Everyone was wearing Hoodies and jeans tennis shoes and galoshes... Not the normal Sunday attire. This was a special meeting, It was an earlier meeting that was short only 1/2 an hour, so that everyone would have the chance to take the sacrament and then go out to Far Rockaway to do service. There are many people who lost their homes, cars, everything.

From the pictures that I have seen and the stories that I have heard some areas look like war zones.
I feel for the people who have lost so much. Who are struggling. 

I can't go. 

I have school today.

This is a lesson to me that there is a time and a season for all things.

There is a time to serve, and a time to go to school, and a time to go to work and a time to play. Etc Etc. 

It's ok that I cant go and serve today. In that capacity! I can still serve. As much as I would like to go out and save the world. I need to work here first. 

Here on myself (get my education and in a field that can and does make an INCREDIBLE difference.)
Here with my thesis partners 
Here with my school cohort
Here with my roommates

and that is OK. 

Service has many faces. 

Sometimes it looks like Buckets, mud, and rubber gloves. 
Sometimes it looks like books and projects. 
Sometimes it looks like food. 
Sometimes it looks like a smile. 

I have decided that what matters the most is that it looks like the Savior. 

In Sacrament meeting one of my favorite primary songs was quoted: 

"I'm trying to be like Jesus
I'm following in his way
I'm trying to love as he did in all that I do and say 
at times I am tempted to make the wrong choice
but I try to listen as the still small voice whispers 

Love one another as Jesus Loves you 
try to show kindness in all that you do 
be gentle and loving in deed and in thought 
for these are the things Jesus taught. 

I'm trying to love my neighbor
I'm learning to serve my friend.
I'll watch for the day of gladness 
when Jesus will come again 
I try to remember the lessons he taught 
and the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts saying 

Love one another as Jesus Loves you 
try to show kindness in all that you do 
be gentle and loving in deed and in thought 
for these are the things Jesus taught."

I love that!

Today I will try to be more like Jesus, and I will look for opportunities to serve, It may not look like manual labor, it may not look saving the world. But thats what I love about Christ- he is our ultimate example. Because while he was concerned about saving the whole world, he was also loving, caring and serving the individual! In many different ways. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Kristy. I love that primary song. And I'm thankful for all the many ways you serve.

    ReplyDelete