Saturday, June 14, 2014

On The Contrary My Dear Watson!


Contrary: In opposition to what has been assumed, stated or expected.

That definition may come useful later in this post… but we will work up to that.
First a story:

I have transformed my life in many ways over the past year. One of the biggest changes I have made is improving my health. I lost 70 lbs over about 7 months. I have better energy, I feel good, I look good. It has made an incredible difference.

I have a friend who is a bikram yoga teacher. She has invited me and told me about bikram yoga for over 2 years and I always thought it sounded like a tradegy. I HATE BEING HOT! WHY?! WHY in the world would I want to go into a heated room to exercise?!

Then December she posted about an awesome deal that Bikram Yoga Harlem was having – so I said, “I can’t pass THAT up!” So I decided that as part of this lifechange that I have made in continuing on the journey of being healthy I would try out yoga.

“try out” haha… I just said that… But here is the thing: I am an “all in” kind of person. I don’t toe dip much. I would rather cannon ball into the pool! I am either COMITTED or probably just not going to do it at all- this applies to many different parts of my life… so of course it applied to me “trying out” yoga!
I was in! ALL IN! I went every day! For 60 plus days! And I feel in love!

I love bikram yoga for MANY reasons!  Through this practice I am becoming physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually stronger! Every day I learn new life lessons from my practice.

I decided that I wanted to share some of those life lessons – so on my health coaching website www.healthcoachkristy.com I started posting short videos titled “Life Lessons From Yoga.” In these short videos I share the lessons I learn in my practice and how they can apply to our everyday lives!

I post a new video every Friday if you would like to check it out!


So I posted a video this past week and I like to share it on my facebook and a couple groups that I am in so that the masses can check it out if they so please. On one of my groups tonight a woman commented on my Life Lesson From Yoga post:

Saying:

“Sorry, Kristy but I'd rather get my life lessons from God not yoga. Glad it worked for you and you are willing to help others though.”

My response:

“I believe that God teaches us in many ways! Through the Scriptures, through prayer, though prophets and revelation. Another way that God teaches and helps us is He uses the gift of people to act as angles in our lives! Though them we may know His will and His ways! Yoga (for me) is not in replacement of God... it is yet another way that I can have greater access to Him!”

I truly believe that 100%. I believe that we can find God in many places and in many ways. What works for some people may not work for others. There have been days where I have been able to access God and feel very strongly the influence of His spirit as I have been practicing yoga. There are other days where I feel him strongly in my room, other days I feel of His love when I am at church.

My question I think that I want to ask back now is “How do you personally access God to be able to get your life lessons from Him?”

There is no right/wrong answer to this question! Personal revelation is PERSONAL! (hence the title).  That means that God can access His children in many ways – and it can be individually suited for what is best for the specific person.

From this woman’s response I got the feeling that she was assuming that Yoga was “my god” and that that is what I turn to for my answers. On the contrary my dear Watson…Like I said before: just as the scriptures, prayer, prophets, going to church, etc. are ways that we can access God and grow closer to Him. Yoga is such for me.

And I am grateful for the things that God is teaching me through Yoga! Through running, through taking better care of my body, through my church service, through traveling, through learning a foreign language, through my friend and family…etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment