Friday, November 27, 2015

Brazilian Thanksgiving

Brazil Day 8
Thursday 11-27-15

This morning we went down to the Lagona - a big lake in the middle of Rio. We wanted to rent a paddleboat to go out on the water. We had about an hour to hang out before they opened so we walked around and took some photos and found a little playground.


I loved this message that was on the peer: 

it says: 
"Stop here, 
Appreciate the view 
for a moment 
and smile."

We found a nice place to sit and have some water and a snack and then 
around 10:30 went to the paddleboats.


We had so much fun!


Towards the end of our ride 3 men came paddling by us. 
Well... Actually they came paddling over to us.

The one in the Yellow kayaks name is Kyle, he speaks perfect English- turns out that he even used to live in NYC! He is training the other 2 for the Olympics next year! Ahhhh! So exciting!!!

I would love to come back next summer for the Olympics!

After our paddleboat ride mom and I went to the beach. Cause of COURSE that is how we wanted to spend thanksgiving in Brazil!



In this moment my friends were in NYC at the Macys Thanksgiving day Parade! I tried to FaceTime Mike Brown - so I could be a part of it. Thats what I did for him last year when he was stuck out of the country.

We had some absolutely great views today! 



One thing that I really wanted to do it ride the subway here in Rio. What can I say- I'm a New York girl! So I like to compare and contrast public transportation! haha- silly I know! We have been riding the bus everywhere cause the subway system here is VERY small - there are only 2 lines! But it was luckily on of way to our next destination!

Rio's subway was VERY nice!



Mom and I went to a Brazilian Barbecuse Resturaunt for our Thanksgiving dinner! IT was SO good!
It is a lot like Rodizios Grill where there is a big open salad bar and then they bring around large skewers of different kinds of meat.
YUM!

After dinner we went up Corcovado Mountain where the Christo Redentor Statue is.
The Christ Statue has been hiding in the clouds almost the WHOLE time that we have been in Rio de Janeiro. But today was finally giving us partly cloudy skies - instead of all gray. So we were very hopeful that the clouds would part long enough for us to be able to see them!

We took a bus over to the train that takes you up to the statue and got our tickets



some interesting info: 



And we got to see Him! 
I was Ecstatic!







Plus the views from up there were AMAZING! 
In this one you can see the Logona where were were in our paddle boat 
and also the beaches we went to earlier in the day! 


We stayed up there til sunset. 


Well actually until the last train that went back down the mountain! 

We wanted to see the view with the city lights- plus every night they light up the statue! 




I am so happy that the weather was in our favor today! Sometimes you just have to join Jesus up in the clouds to be able to see him! 

Actually that is something that I thought a LOT about as I was standing up on the mountain today! 
One minute it would be clear and beautiful and then a few seconds later a cloud would roll in and make it inpossible to see the view- you looks out to a sea of white and grey. Then a gust of wind would come and clear parts of it.  

I stood and watched the billowing clouds for a long time - I saw them cover and uncover the mountain, the lagona, the beaches and the Christ statue. 

We noticed that we couldn't see sugar loaf mountain at all- it was covered in clouds! It was all about having the right timing AND the right vantage point! Being in the right place at the right time is vital! I have a lot more thoughts on this - but I need to sit with them for a while. Again my gospel doctrine/institute teacher is coming up with all sorts of analogies and lessons! 

What a blessing to have spent this thanksgiving with my mom in such a beautiful incredible place! 

I AM THANKFUL! 




No comments:

Post a Comment