Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Always Remembering our Rwandan Brothers and Sisters


This morning I went with Chris to get some flowers that we could bring to the Kigali Memorial Center with us.  I watched as the florist in her little shop put together a big bouquet of lilies and little read and white roses with green foliage.  It was a beautiful arrangement.  On the front we had a purple ribbon sashing the bouquet, included our message of “Always Remembering our Rwandan Brothers and Sisters.” 

At the Genocide memorial we first went to the mass graves, and placed our flowers there as a group and had a moment of silence to respect and honor all of the lives who were buried there and lost in the tragic events of the genocide. 

The 4th of July is Liberation day in Rwanda. I cannot think of a better way to spend a majority of this day than to be remembering the tragic events of the genocide and honoring the people who were lost. 

We then had time to go through the memorial site on our own.  The building is beautiful and the Gardens are a sight to behold.  There was a significant amount of symbolism throughout the memorial sites. 

The first thing that we saw as we walked up to the memorial center is a flame that burns during the 100 days of mourning.  Which is how long the genocide lasted before liberation day. (which is today!) The fire raised above the middle of a fountain, the water representing life. There were also clay statues of Elephants.  The Elephant is a symbol (in most cultures) of one who NEVER FORGETS.  This is the promise of hope that is often repeated in this place.  
Always remember…Never Forget… Never Again.

Out side there were many beautiful gardens – one for women surrounded by protective trees, another rose garden whose paths were made to represent the flow of life and create a journey for reflection.  Another garden was a garden of trees, the trees represented eternity, and even though they are still young- they will continue to grow and be strong and ben seen by all who come.

Among the gardens there were 3 beautiful fountains. First a circular fountain symbolizing the Unity of Rwanda that then flowed into the fountain of division –a fountain shaped like a 6 pointed star there were also clay pot animals sitting at each point facing in different directions showing the division that was created in Rwanda from the Genocide.  Then the water flows to the fountain of reconciliation.  Another circular fountain, in the center there is a mound of stones representing the lives of those affected by the genocide.  Surrounding this fountain the clay animal’s pots are all talking on cell phones – spreading the word to other nations.

I enjoyed the quite and competitive time in the gardens and was able to sit and reflect about my own place and responsibility in humanity. 

I made my way into the museum.
This is one of the first things that I read upon entering:
“This is about our past and our future
Our nightmare and dreams
Our fear and our hope
Which is why we begin where we end…
With the country we love.

It is true! The Rwandanese love their country.  As our tour guide said the other day to us, “It may be small, but we are proud.”

I have read some about the history of this beautiful country, is a stark contrast to the love and peace that I feel here now.

I was well composed throughout the museum.  Going into a room where loved ones were able to bring photographs of their lost ones chocked me up, I felt a love and sorrow in my chest that is hard to explain. 

The next room I entered into was of personal belongings of victims.  Cloth with African patterns that were probably skirts of women, shirts and pants, all hung in dimly lit cases.

I stood in front of a case in which hung a fitted sheet with Superman imprinted all over it, a child’s jacket and… a small vest.  As I looked at the tiny vest I started to think of the children.  And tears flowed down my cheeks. I stood in that moment gazing from the superman sheet to the jacket and back to the tiny vest…fixated on that vest. I was immovable. Wedged in that moment.  I cannot describe the feelings that I had or fully articulate my thought at this time.  As I was standing there in this almost poetically tragic moment I was, in my mind, much more articulate than I am now.  The least that I can say is that I was very moved. 

After we got back to the hotel we all went to lunch.  Most of the group went to eat at another local hotel after we walked around for a bit in a fruitless search for a rumored Ethiopian restaurant.  Bennett, Rachel and I decided to check out another place near by and I got some good beef stroganoff.

We headed back to the hotel to chill for a bit.  We heard about a football (soccer) match tonight at the stadium and decided we wanted to go.  Bennett and I met up with Magic and Jimmy (two of our friends from KIE) and went to the stadium (its only a 10/15 min walk from our hotel)

The Match was the FINAL GAME of the Peace cup and it was the POLICE Fore Team vs. APR Force team (Military) that were competing for the trophy. The match was exciting and the team we were cheering for (APR) won in overtime 2-1.

It was a perfect day for Football! The weather was beautiful and it is so fun to be in a big stadium with so many people.  It was mostly men in the crowd.  There was maybe 1%women in a HUGE stadium that was fairly packed, especially on the side that we were sitting.

There was a group of boys pretty close to us… they had brought a drum and horns and they sang and danced and cheered and blew their horns the whole time.  It was an exciting atmosphere to be in!

One thing that is very different about Rwandan culture is their personal space.  It is kind of like how they drive- if you fit go…There is always an arm around your shoulder and a hand to hold by those that are around. 
As far as personal bubbles… I don’t think that anyone really has one at all.  The other day when we were in the stadium Magic leaned back putting himself between the legs of the person who was sitting on the stone slab bleachers behind him, and even leaned up against his leg.  This was done to a stranger… not someone he knows.  This would be un-acceptable in the US. You just don’t do that, lean up against strangers… and on top of the act of doing it not getting any kind of reaction.
Seriously just bumping into someone slightly in New York on the train can set someone off.  So it is really interesting to me how here that is no problem whatsoever. I Love that people are generally more giving and sharing here than I have seen in most other places.

Anyway- lots of love… I still have SO MUCH to share… but I am REALLY tired and I have a big day tomorrow!
BIG HUGS!   

No comments:

Post a Comment