Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wishes in London


I ventured into London today. No plans, just going to go and see where I end up.  I decided to start at the Hyde Park chapel.  I heard that they remodeled and I wanted to see it… plus it was a starting point as well as a part of my old stomping grounds from when I was here 3 years ago.  So without a map (I forgot mine in NYC) I thought that maybe some places that I vaguely knew might be a good part to start wandering.

After not being able to go to church for the past 3 weeks it was really refreshing to be in the chapel. I talked with Sister Brooks, a senior missionary. And we shared stories and watched Mormon messages together. It was really nice! I LOVE the gospel SO MUCH and I am SO grateful for my knowledge of the restoration and my testimony!

It started to rain while I was inside the chapel, but once it cleared up I went out to head towards Hyde Park.  Which is one of my favorite places!  On the way I saw a sign for a free photography exhibit.  I LOVE photography! And I love free! So I went in.  The photos were beautiful. They were the “best of travel” photography. And I very much enjoyed seeing the beautiful images from around the world and the photographer in me yearned to go and take photographs of beautiful things, places and people.

I went on to Hyde Park and saw the new Serpentine pavilion. (there is a new one designed every year) and I sat in it for a while and ate for lunch.  Then I went to the Serpentine museum where there is an exhibit of art from Yoko Ono.  There were some interesting things in there… some that I didn’t like, some that I thought were interesting and one thing that I LOVED!!!

WISHING TREES!

There were 4 trees outside of the museum and they were covered in tags that had writing all over them. The tags were wishes.  Anyone could add his or her own wish.  I took some time to read what others had written. I added my own wish. Then I spent more time reading other wishes that were written.
Here are a few pictures of some wishes from the wishing trees.
 








Let me tell you something about Kristy Kadish… I LOVE interactive art!!! LOVE! I know that this probably doesn’t come as a surprise considering that I do and love theatre, which IS interactive art.  But this was Beautiful! There were so many wishes that I read that resonated with me and echoed my own hearts desires!

It was a moment of pondering, reflection and realization.  No matter who we are, where we are from, racial background, political standing, color of our skin, cultural differences, etc… no matter! We all wish.  And Largely… we wish for the same things! Because when we strip away EVERYTHING else we are left with the human being.  And as humans we all have basic needs and desires, that no matter how different we are… we can and do find similarities!

It rained again while I was in the museum. And stopped by the time I was done.  I walked around the park. It is SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I LOVE IT!!! I sat on a bench for a while and wrote down some thoughts and feelings in my journal. Much needed pondering and writing time.  I watched dogs running and playing I walked around the Princess Diana Memorial circle pond, I saw the birds, I walked by Kensington Palace and the Orangery. I walked out of the park and started down Kensington Road.  I did a little bit of shopping. Picked up a new cardigan and some sandals.  I walked down the street stopping to walk down little alleys with apartment and saw a BEAUTIFUL house that I want to live in someday! Mostly cause it looks like a fairy tale house. It was BEAUTIFUL! And then ended up taking a bus back up the way I came. I stopped into the madness that is called Primark (it’s a crazy busy discount store… I bought some socks for a really good deal, haha oh and an umbrella) I then headed back home. 

Home… I am staying with the Ishmael family and I LOVE them! The Ishmaels are actually related to one of my mission companions. Which is the initial reason that we had such a great friendship formed right off the bat when I met them in the Stratford ward 3 years ago.  They are a JOY to be with! I am so grateful that they are letting me stay with them! They recently moved to a new home in Essex and it is a beautiful neighborhood!

I am grateful to be here and to have this time off to relax, and reflect.

Now I need to dive into writing my paper.  But blogging is taking priority over that for now. And I am distracted by my thoughts of wishes as I write and continue to wish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment