Wednesday, July 14, 2010

NYC baby

Today…was a productive day!

I slept in! and I got a call from the artistic director of one of the companies I had sent my resume to…he asked if I could come and meet with him at 2. So I went and spoke with him a while, very interesting fellow. Nice…he told me a lot about his company and how it runs…how he runs…(and I am not talking miles here!) I mean his personality etc. haha he told me that he has a bad temper…but it doesn’t come out very often…and I wouldn’t see it…and that it had been like 5 months since his last blow up…haha…a little bit I felt like a counselor or like I was a missionary again! Cause when you are a missionary people seem to open up and tell you EVERYTHING about themselves…things that you would like to know at times…but mostly its things that you would rather do without that knowledge of, or don’t want to know AT ALL!

He also suggested for me to talk to the program director that worked in the theatre below his. Her name is Susan. I went down stair and gave her a resume and we talked. She was super nice! I really enjoyed speaking with her! She looked over my resume and said, “You need to move to New York!” She said that she would love to have me come and start an education program with her company and she wishes she has the money to pay me and said I wish I could say, yeah lets do it and get a grant and start this…but to have you move out here on those hopes and then if something didn’t work out…I would feel guilty for the rest of my life!
She offered that I come back on Friday to see a show that they are doing…it’s called “Puppet Playlist” I think it will be fun.

So I went around to a couple of other companies that wanted hard copy resumes/applications etc not just emailed…so I went around and dropped those off.

I walked around a lot…I went over to Union Square...
where they had a farmers market set up. I bought peaches, nectarines, blueberries, blackberries. And a French baguette. I went and sat on a bench and people watched as I ate some of my yummy fruit. I wish that I had my book with me...its one of those things...if I carry it around all day I wont have the chance to use it...if I leave it at home I wish that I had brought it...story of my life!...anyway...I entertained myself talking on the phone and texting and people watching. I then decided to walk up to the theatre on broadway that I was going to see this show tonight.

Here are some pictures that I took along the way…

It was actually quite a long jont that it took to get to the theater…but I made it…with barley enough time to run to the bathroom, fill up my water bottle and sit in my seat.
Tonight I saw….
Mary Poppins!
I decided that I wanted to see one show on broadway while I am here! And I have heard a lot of good things about this show.
Confessions of a College Theatre Graduate: I don’t like musicals as much as I used to! I know I know...its just....SIGH...a lot of different reasons...but we shall for now just leave it at that.

Not that I didn’t enjoy the show tonight…no no that’s not what I said! I DID enjoy it! It was fun…and I think my favorite thing about this musical was actually the technical aspects of the performance! REALLY COOL!

Like how the house was done…and the set changes were way cool! I wish I could adaquatly explain HOW cool it was...but I cant without me explaining with drawings and my hands...so I will just let you know...it was cool! AND I loved how they did Marys magic bag! You know…just like the one in the movie that she pulls out the floor lamp and a big mirror and hat stand out of! SO COOL!
Anyway…

I wanted to take a picture of this cute little photo opp that the Theatre has provided for us...but there were WAY too many people right after the show had gotten out...plus I would have to get someone to take it for me...so I just took a picture of this cute little Asain girl with it...
look at her! with her little umbrella! So Stinkin' CUTE! (I'll TAKE 2!...that is an inside joke...if you dont get it thats okay...Unless you are the person that the inside joke was intended for....cause if YOU don't get it...then I am sad!)

well....good day! love love from the Big City!

1 comment:

  1. Mary Poppins is my favorite musical EVER! I'm so glad you got to see it! I even have the umbrella. Yeah, I'm that dorky, but it's ok. I hope you have such a great trip! Love ya babe! :D

    ReplyDelete