Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Traveling to...NYC!!!

Monday was spent packing and preparing…of course I am really REALLY good at procrastinating, and even though I spent most of the day getting ready to go – I still stayed up til 1 or 1:30 in the morning packing up my suitcase and getting my stuff together.

Then I had to wake up at 4 this morning (was it 4…I think it was 4…cant really remember now…it was kind of a fuzzy morning) Luckily I have an AMAZING mother who is actually who woke me up and took me to the airport. THANKS MOM! My flight left at 6am.

My layover was in LA.
Now if you are thinking…wait..I thought Kristy was going to New York and you are wondering why in the world I flew to LA so I could go to NY…my reply to you is…well I wondered the same thing. A bit silly to backtrack- but such is life. So off to LA I went from SLC.

Our flight to NYC was delayed about 2 hours. I started reading my new book that I just bought. It is called Eat Pray Love I found it at Barnes and Nobel the other day and it is a New York Times best seller. It looked good- so I picked it up. Contrary to what some may believe I DO enjoy reading. It is not my favorite pastime (I much rather would be socializing with people or being active) but when I get the time and a good book I like to read. So airport/flying time is perfect time for me to have a book!

I got reading my book and didn't even realize that they were boarding my plane. Luckily they called my name and I got on! ha! that would have been bad!

I sat down and the man who was sitting next to me pulled out a script. A Midsummer Nights Dream. "Why Hello!" I thought. So that was a quick conversation starter. Turns out that he works for La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego in their financial office. When I told him that I just graduated with my BA in Theatre Education he told me that they have a position open. Education and Outreach Associate. Which is PREFECT for me! seriously its RIGHT up my alley! so I sent them my resume and cover letter and some letters of recommendation and we shall see what happens! Everyone Pray for me! so I can get a job...something to do in the fall would be GREAT!!!

John was wondering the same thing that many of you were, "wait...if you are flying to NY why did you go through LA from SLC?" I told him, "So I could meet you." I really do think that is the reason! I feel really good about it...hope I am not setting myself up for disappointment...but this job would be REALLY COOL to get!

hummmm....thats not right....I should have more positive thinking!.....

YES! I feel good about it!...PLUS...they NEED me at that company! I am the best person for that job! I would do amazing things for them! ;)
I landed at about 630 in the JFK airport and took the Air Train to the Subway and then the subway into Uptown Manhattan to Harlem. Steven met me at the sub stop and brought me to his apartment.
Meet Steven!...
Steven is an Intern and apprentice with the Theater Mitu Company…which is the company that I am going to India with. So the artistic director, Ruben, hooked me up with Steven. And he is SUCH a Sweetheart! He is actually going out of town tomorrow to go back home for his friends wedding. So he is just letting me stay in his room! Such a great help for me! I am VERY grateful!

We dropped my stuff off at his apartment. And if you are wondering by “dropped off” I mean we hauled my suitcase up 6 flights of stairs to his place…its true. Lots of stairs! Steven and I went out to dinner. We went downtown to a Tibetan place. It was YUMMY! I love trying new kinds of food!

Here are a couple of pictures that I took in the restaurant
It was a nice little ambiance…
This was a really cool chandelier that they had that reminds me of my friend Chris…cause Chris is an artist and does cool things with lights… so I in-part took this picture for him…I think its cool though…
Steven and I walked around…A LOT! It was nice cause I was just able to enjoy the walk and see things at night and have someone to follow.
There is this church! these 2 pictures are the same church taken on different camera settings...but they both turned out kind of cool.
Look at how cool!
I really liked how this photo turned out! with the sky!

Its like a little piece of Europe right in the middle of NYC! Cause this church is VERY MUCH like a lot of churches and cathedrals that I saw in Europe! It really is beautiful!

Steven and I went to a milkshake place…I think its called “the Stand” and we got milkshakes. I got the Toasted Marshmallow.I know…maybe that sounds a little bit strange for a flavor of milkshake…BUT…it came highly recommended! AND it was AMAZING!!! Really really! It was GOOOOOOOD!

Um…my friend Spencer told me to go to Rockefeller Center at night…so we did…here are some pictures taken there…
I think that this photo turned out really nice!...
I really liked this
it is a whole bunch of "beliefs" of John R Rockefeller...I really liked what it said! This one about love was one of my favorites...
And then I have a few other random pictures from this and that as we walked around.
more pictures from walking:
There are things that I see that remind me of people...like I thought that Emily would like this...
and I knew that Miriam would laugh at this...
and this...
this is the Trump building...and it has lit up trees on it...and it looks like a heart...doesn't it!?

It was SO SO SOOOOOO nice to have Steven with me tonight! I very much enjoyed:
(in no particular order)
-not being lost in NYC
-not being alone on my first night here
- the conversation! (this would probably be #1) Steven and I have a lot of similar interests and had a lot to talk about- he is a very enjoyable person. I am sad that he has to go to this wedding and he wont be around to show me around more and play with me. But it was a fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment