Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Music and Dancing in India!

Day 3

Do we want to get into the PERSONAL life of Kristy Kadish…?

...well lets just say that I feel sicky! And last night was ROUGH!

We have huge beautiful Indian meals here. Lots of great foods that my mouth is so happy about!...my stomach on the other hand is in rebellion! And it’s asking me why I am eating out at an Indian restaurant every day…for every meal!?

So you may or may not have heard that there was a big train wreck in India (this happened in Northern India and I am in South India, so I am safe and well). Because of the train wreck 3 out of 5 of our teachers were stuck and not able to make it here. We were supposed to really get started and dive into all of our classes today…but that wasn’t able to happen. So they had others things for us instead.

-Bendabi girls performed for us a dance.


Then they taught us the song and dance.
this was our attempt...


-Carantic Music class was a bit easier today…thankfully my mouth is starting to form to the words that we are trying to say…although I am not singing a lot of the notes correctly…I want to change them into major key and about 1/3 of the time the notes are supposed to be flat. It Is a very different kind of music. Very interesting.

-There was a father and son who came and talked to us about Indian drumming. They are hired to play at festivals and parties and weddings etc. They also come and teach some of the Bendabi girls how to play as well.
After we talked for a while we jumped into playing...We all got turns beating the drums
and we had ourselves a genuine Indian dance party! it was AWESOME!

-After our dance party we had the option of going to see someone climb a coconut tree, and then some people would get to try it....OR....we could go to help out in the kitchen and learn how to make Indian food! I opted for the cooking! We got to help make the lunch that everyone would be eating...it was awesome!

For our cultural context class today we had someone come in and teach us a bit about the languages that are spoken here in India and she taught us how to say a few things in Kanada- which is one of the local Indian languages.

After lunch we had the opportunity to go into town tonight and see a Ballywood film in a movie theatre. This is something that I would usually love and be really excited about…but once again…Sicky! I was not up for it. We went to a mall which is where the theatre was and got our tickets. We had a little bit before the movie started but all I wanted was a bathroom and a 7up.

I got my 7up and sat down in the movie theatre. The drink helped and I watched the first part of the movie thinking, huh…wait…are they speaking in another language, why can I only understand ½ of what is happening?

The movie was in ½ Hindi and ½ English. The movie was called “I Hate LUV Stories.” The best part in my opinion in Ballywood movies is were the big song and dance number break out. Hilarious!...shortly after which I fell asleep until intermission….yes…movies here have intermissions! Haha…and if they don’t have a built in one then the theatre will just cut the movie off at a random ½ way point and they make an intermission.

After intermission I was past the point of complacency and didn’t even make an effort of watch the movie and mostly slept through the rest of it catching only little parts here and there.

Despite my stomach wanting to go home and go to bed- the rest of the group wanted to get dinner after the movie. So we went to dinner. I ate a lot of Nahn bread (which I LOVE!) at dinner cause thats all my stomach could really handle.

So it was a good day overall wish I had felt more up to par for all of the fun that we had. But it was still a good one...a rather musical day in India...with the singing and dancing with the Bindabie girls and with the drummers and then finishing off with the Ballywood film.

No comments:

Post a Comment