Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday in India went like this...

8am got onto the bus and we went out for breakfast – to a sort of fast food place…
this was my breakfast…
cool looking…they were a LOT like scones…but really really thin, and very big and puffy…and yummy! I wish I knew how to make them.

We then went to a temple…
When we got off the bus we had a whole bunch of cute Indian school children to greet us. They all wanted to wave and shake hands and high 5 the Americans. One of the little girls reached out and totally grandma pinched my cheek! HA! It was Adorable!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this photo!
This is Justin making friends with one of the little boys! BAH!!! SO CUTE!!!

This temple was built around/on top of a cave…so we had to squat to walk around in there which was actually really hard for all of us because we are all very sore from our classes! OUCH!
I took this one picture and then found out we weren’t supposed to take pictures…oopsie. So there is the one. Some temples are totally fine with you taking pictures and others not so much, so you just have to play it by ear.
This was on top of the temple…
they said it was fine to take pictures outside of this one – just not inside. =)
This is Even and Annie talking with a monk who was giving offerings outside of the temple. At bigger temples there are food offerings they give you a leaf with a mixture of rice mush that you see there in the big pot next to the monk. I avoided getting some because Justin has told about how many times he has gotten sick in India in his many travelings here and most of the time it was from temple food. So I did not partake.

And then we went to…
Another temple…! (there is a pattern being established here)
And then…
Another temple!....
are you surprised? these last 2 were actually right next to each other.
At this temple there were some little street vendor people selling things. A man had Henna stamps and a whole bunch of us got henna.
I saw the paisley design and we sold! Haha….I know I am a dork- but I love paisleys!

We then went to a Market…now this is a TRUE Indian market…and its HUGE – This is where everyone goes to do their shopping…
CITY MARKET!
We first went into the bottom floor of a big building and found the flower part of the market...
Piles and bags and TONZ of flowers! of every color and kind.
Oh!...and of course a random COW! in the middle of the walkway of the flower market!
Now of course I am started at EVERYWHERE I go! I smile and head wobble to them and they smile and head wobble back. I was handed flowers by a few men who were selling them - they just wanted to given them to me. Then this man tells me to come here and he starts putting flowers in my hair! I said, "Matt you have to get a picture of this!"
there it is.
My friend Matt was really jealous of all of the attention that I was getting. He wanted free flowers too. haha
look at this!
Can you believe how many flowers!...
This man made this out of flowers
and this guy was making this fancy thing...
In this picture you can kind of tell how big the building is that we were in.
The upper floors were Filled with little shops that sold just about everything and anything! from toys, to baby cribs, to kitchen appliances, and jewlery....AND....
This AWESOME hat that they tried to get MAtt to buy! hahaha! love it!
More market pictures:
look at all of the colors! and the cool makes!

We then headed out to the streets...
Look at this
I love that everyone carries things on their heads! and they will carry a LOT of stuff too!
I am also amazign at how much they fit onto their bikes:
They carry so much! Including people! Here is 3 people on the same motorcycle...or this may be a mo-ped...either way there are lots of them around!
A few times I saw a family of 5 on 1 motorcycle! yep! 2 adults and 3 kids! and I even saw 3 adults and 2 kids! SHEESH! Transportation here in India is CRAZY!!!
We wanted to find fabrics and clothing...
Matt got a shirt and pants made for him. Tailored to fit him. I found some fabric that I loved... this is them making a Sari for me!

Matt got some Jack Fruit
This is Jackfruit...
it kind of tastes like gummy bears. the white ones.

We met back up with our group walking back to the bus we passed this...
Its a children's hospital.
We also passed by a row of urinals...I kid you not, right there in the middle of the sidewalk a row of probably 5 urinals, and there were men using them. the stench was AWFUL...I looks the other way and walked by quickly! NASTY!!!! BLAH!!!!

We got back to the bus and it too us to...Yep! you guessed it...another temple! – This one was a Harre Krishna temple...there were no pictures allowed - so I cant show you how big it was...but it was huge!
There was a HUGE gift shop that just kept going and going. Kind of like at Disneyland when you get off a ride they lead you straight into the food/gift shop and you have to walk clear the heck through there before you can get out. Yeah it was just like that.

This is a picture of my feet at the Haree Krishna temple.
I am standing on shoe bags. Cause when you go to a temple there is a person who takes your shoes, and you have to pay them 1 or 2 Rupees. Some temples have bags and you put your shoes in the bags and they give you a little token so you can re-claim them.

We then went to GM road which has Shopping centers
We went and got dinner...Yep! Here is Mikayla and me...we totally went to Pizza Hut for dinner. and some people went to McDonald's for some fries. haha- sometimes you just need some good ol' American food!
Lilly, me, Jenny and Rachel LOVIN our pizza! Pizza never tasted SO GOOD!
After we ate we walked around a bit.
Matt wanted to get a tshirt that had a random American phrase written on it...we found a few...
then we headed back home...it was a LONG and good day!
This is what my henna looked like btw: pretty cool eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment