Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey

We had class today- as we do every Wednesday morning.
After class Cat, Graham, Alison and I went on a Beatles Walking Tour. It was pretty cool! Our tour guide showed us around some different Beatles sites. Like Paul McCartney's production offices- tour guide pointed up and said "that window is his office- and the light is on- so that means he is probably in today" - so that was pretty cool-
We also went to the recording studio that "Hey Jude" was recorded in.
Here are some other places that we went-
this theatre is where a TV show was recorded that the Beatles were on. And supposedly where "Beatle mania" started
This picture is in front of a flat that the Beatles owned. Called Apple Studio- here they played their last ever live concert on the roof of the flat. The tour guide told us all kinds of stories and such like when they were playing on the roof local residents either loved them and climbed up on their own roofs to enjoy the concert- or hated all the noise and called the police on them.
So the police showed up, apparently the Beatles wanted to get arrested too- didn't happen cause of course they loved the Beatles- so instead of arresting them they sat up on the roof and enjoyed the concert. Ha!
And the BEST part of it all!!!
look familiar?...
how about in THIS picture....
YES that is right! ABBY ROAD!!! and if you will notice...Graham even has his shoes off!! HA!!! LOVE IT!!!
Now Abby road is a busy road! its not all nice and calm like! Our guide told us that the Beatles had the police there to block off traffic so they could take this picture. We didn't have that... so we had to wait for a gap in the traffic and some nice guy in our tour group ran into the middle of the road so he could take that picture for us! =) and it turned out pretty good if you ask me!
We also saw the Abby house and Abby Studio's - which is still a working Studio today.

After our Beatles adventure we met up with our school group and got to take a backstage tour of the National Theatre. This theatre is REALLY cool! they have 3 different theatre's within this building- and its huge! we got to see the big and medium theatres and got shown all around back stage, got to see prop tables, and the scene shop where they build and paint sets. We also saw a prop that they have for the play War Horse. We are going to see War Horse soon and I am really excited now! cause this prop is a life size horse puppet WOW!! its pretty incredible! so that is exciting! after the tour we got to see a show at the National Theatre.
Time and the Conway's - this play is part of our corse study here in London - so the whole group went together to watch. We all had read the play before hand - but it is so cool to see how a director takes a script and with all elements combined (wow suddenly I feel like I am in a super hero movie- haha) transform a play into real life on the stage. This director made some very bold choices- mostly in the transitions of changing from one act to the other. I wish that I could adiquatly describe what I saw on stage but I couldn't do it justice and would probably come off really confusing...so just know it was REALLY cool!! It was very artistic and very different from anything that I had ever seen on stage so I wasn't really quite sure of the meanign behind it but I was absolutly rivited to the stage in awe!
Then I wrote my response paper on it for class- and when I went back to the text of the script and was talking about the theme of time in the play and I found some lines that explained better
the meaning and purpose behind the directors choices and had some really cool ah-ha moments that I was pretty excited about!
This day was a good learning expierence!

PS- the title of this post is a song written by John Lennon (credited to Lennon/McCartney) and performed by The Beatles on their 1968 double-disc album The Beatles, also known as "The White Album".

1 comment:

  1. SO COOL!!! I love the Abby Road picture and I really wanted to do that, but I never made it happen when I was there. You look like you're having so much fun! I'm so happy for you! :D

    ReplyDelete