Saturday, June 6, 2009

Big day! Long day!

I went to Westminster Abbey with Sarah today. WOW!!! That Cathedral is HUGE!!!
It keps on going and going! I was just overwhelmed at some points with the grandeur of it all! It just keps going and going! There are a lot of cool things in this Abbey too! A lot of graves of very famous people- ha- I wish I could remember them all – I wrote down a lot of cool things but I don’t have those notes with me right now so I guess I will spare you those details.
One again- you are not allowed to take picturs inside of the Abbey - so this is one of Sarah and me in the courtyard at Westminster Abbey.

Saturday 6-6-09
Oh the way back to the tube we walked by Big Ben.
We went over to Snog. This is a frozen yogurt place. It’s the equivalent of ‘spoon me’ which is what you will find in Provo.

And its funny how the names match up too- in London snog means ‘make-out’. They even sell pins (badges as they call them here in the UK) that say “Fancy a Snog” haha! I think that they are funny!
Sarah and I then split up- I went back to the area we were just in to go to the Cabinet War rooms – which also included a huge museum all about Winston Churchill. It was really cool!
Then I took a little walk…okay actually it was a really long walk-I walked along the Thames River to go over to the HMS Belfast. on my way I saw all kinds of things - like:
this little park that had this beautiful house

street Performers

-the mounted guard

-the national theatre had changed the way the outside of the theatre looked- not sure why, but it was cool


So the HMS Belfast- This is a HUGE battle ship-

and actually (if I remember my facts correct) the only surviving battle ship in the UK that was in full use during the war.
I have never been on a ship so big! It would have been really easy to get lost in there! Especially when going down and down and further down into the boiler rooms and the engine rooms and etc. I pretty much just had a good little time exploring this ship.


I decided to head back home to see if anyone wanted to see a show tonight – I even passed by a fringe theatre that I thought about looking up when I got back – it was a ways to travel by walking and tube- I finally was almost home when I walked up to the bus stop that is just down the street from our flat and Tracey and Jamie were waiting for the bus- they said, “hey we are going to see a play! Come with us”
I hoped on the bus with them and ended up going straight back to where I had come from- haha! That little fringe theatre that I had passed was the show that they had wanted to see- so it actually worked out perfect timing with that! We saw a show called The Moon, The Moon it was very interesting. I LOVED the set! Wow they had a cool set! And the actors did a pretty good job! Especially the lead – I really liked his closing monologue! It was a very different type of story line. Going to see fringe theatre is always a little risky cause you aren’t sure exactly what you are getting yourself into when you go to see it . But it has been fun and I have been learning some cool things from these smaller non-commercial shows that I wouldn’t otherwise see and learn.
After the show we went in to the bar/café area to return a glass and noticed that a bunch of chair were moved to one side of the room and there were lights being set up and etc.

This is the bar/cafe area where they had moved things around and were setting up.
I asked someone what was going on and he said, “it’s a play” cool we thought – another show! So we stuck around. Most people watching (including us) were standing in this little found theatre space. The show started and I quickly came to find that I couldn’t understand a word that the actors were saying! – it was completely in Spanish! HAHA! Seriously I kept thinking Where is my twin when I need her?! This was a mixed modern-ish type of dance mixed with theatre piece. I got as much out of it as I could with not beign able to understand the words – it was interesting. I am sure it would have been a little different and abstract if I had known the language and understood what they were talking about – but without any words I was very lost. But it was an exciting and different experience non-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment