Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Day in Italy

I got up early today and started to walk the streets of Florence. I made my way over to the Academia Museum - there was already a line forming in front of the museum when I got there and it wasn't opened yet. This museum has LOADS of sculptures in it! including:
yep that is our friend David by Michelangelo. Apparently you aren't allowed to take photographs in this museum- I found that out cause as soon as I took this one I was verbally attacked by the workers there- what a job! To sit in a museum for hours and tell people no photographs allowed- so I put my camera away.
When I was done in the museum I was walking the streets and see this...

so of course I went that way.

The architecture here is WAY cool! I LOVE it!
There are 3 statues of Michelangelo's David in Florence - the first is the original I already showed- this is the second...
I was going to go into another museum but decided that instead I would go and see Florence itself and just walk around and enjoy this beautiful city. I loved all of the buildings! and statues all over.
I only have this one day here, so I wanted to see Florence instead of spending my whole time inside.

there was this beautiful river with buildings lining each side.
and there was an enchanting bridge with shops over it.

I walked across the bridge and all of the shops were little jewelry shops - lots and lots of Gold!

the streets I walked along:I found a little shop with food and fresh fruit- I bought a Peach and an Apple and went on a little hike that I read ended in a nice view.
on my way up the hill:The review I read was wrong! the view was not "nice" or beautiful or whatever is was they worded it to be.... it was SPECTACULAR!!!!

Florence is absolulty BEAUTIFUL and right at this moment:I fell in love!! and I decided that I would come back here with my husband someday!
I sat and ate my peach with this view in fron of me. It was breathtaking! AND that was the BEST peach I have ever had in my life!Also up at the top of the hill is where you find the 3rd David:I hiked back down into town and walked around. I absolutly LOVE being in Europe... Here are a few pictures that just say EUROPE to me that I took today:
small steets with beautiful buildings...underwear hanging outside of a window...haha I dont know why I love this....I love this bike that was left leaning up against this building...

look at the streets! I love the streets!
Another thing I love here are all of the little shops. Especially the ones that sell Gelatto/ Ice-Cream.oh man! IT was SO SO SO good! I walked around the streets of Florence smiling, eating my gelatto and throughly enjoying my life!there were lots of shops and street vendors. I had one guy that was trying to sell me a leather jacket- wish I had that kind of money - and he told me that he would give me a good deal cause I was beautiful- but still didn't have the money for it. I found this shop that everything in it was carved out of wood- this was cool!

I took this picture for my mom and dad!
I also found a little shop where I was able to buy a new pair of sunglasses (cause mine broke somehow when I arrived in Italy) I also got a really good deal on some Italian ties for my dad and Jeremy.
I went back to my hostle loaded up my backpack and checked out and made my way over to the train station. I rode back to Pisa and I had a few hours til my plane left. I thought to myself, "rellay? I am in Pisa!?!? I HAVE to go and see the Leaning Tower!"
I found a map- and there were 2 girls looking at the map as well - they were from Boise Idaho and were going over to the Leaning Tower as well! So we made it a group adventure and I the self appointed leader of the group - just cause thats how it happens went on our way to get there. I made efforts to speak to locals and ask where the tower was. We came up to a bus stop and there was a nice Itallian woman waiting for the bus. Throguh gestures I was able to communicate where we wanted to go and she pointed to the correct bus route on the sign and pointed to herself communicating to me to follow her cause she was getting on that bus. So we did - go on the bus with this Italian woman. Then I saw her ask a few people - I understood this only in context... she said to a few other people on the bus, "these girls want to go to the Leaning Tower- will you show them which stop of get off on?" they concented and she gestured towards them and spoke Italian. MAN! people here are SO NICE!!! I love them! we were shown which stop to get off of and it landed us right by the Leaning Tower of Pisa! Pretty COOL!!!
Who knew I would ever be here...seriously!? I didn't! me and my Boise friends (Ashley and Sarah) in front of the Tower.
After taking some pictures I headed off to the airport- wanted to makes sure I got to my flight on time...and as always I ended up waiting...and waiting....and waiting for my flight to come
I arrived in Scotland - there was a nice younger Scotish couple that I sat next to on the plane ride- they gave me some good adivce on getting off the plane fast and into the shuttle quickley so the by the time you got into customs and the Visa check point so we wouldn't be stuck waiting in a long line.
I caught the shuttle that went from the airport into downtown Edinburgh where I would find my hostle.As we drove the houses and scenery kinf of reminded me of California bit at first. I finally had some good directions to one of my hostles for once! And so I was not left in the dark not knowing where to go, but has some good directions to where I was staying. I did stop on the way to take a picture here and there and also to listen for a moment to a man playing the bag-pipes! I LOVED this! my first day in Scotland and I got to hear bag-pipes!!
I found where I was staying:the really cool part about this place is what is directly across the street!
Yep that is the Edinburgh Castle! Pretty Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment