Friday, June 5, 2009

A Real Live Castle!

Today Anne, Kriseen and I took a train to Windsor castle-

this is the Queens "weekend castle". Seriously no joke! Don’t you wish you had a weekend get away castle!? Well its huge and it was kind of raining a bit when we got there but that’s okay. Changing of the guard was a little more entertaining here because we actually got to see what was all happening – there was a lot smaller crowd.

We went inside of the castle too! The first thing that we saw was a dolls house that was made for…um…some queen – Elizabeth, I think? Maybe? Anyway she LOVED miniatures and small things and dolls. So it was really cool this was a dolls um, well actually not a house but a castle (so dont think we were suppose to take pictures of it...but I snapped this one really quick- so its not the best photo)

– it was modeled after Buckingham Palace! AND it was all to scale- with the rooms of the kings and queen and the servants rooms, kitchen, cellar etc. AND it has the little rooms with the crown jewels! AND it has working electricity AND I read a sign that said that it also had working plumbing! Yep! Can you believe that?! Pretty awesome!
One cool thing is depending on the flag that is flying on top of the castle- you know if the queen is there or not sure enough- she was there the day that we came! the Union Jack was flying! =)
and there were some really beautiful garden areas

St George Chapel was huge and beautiful!

I saw all kinds of cool things inside of the Windsor castle and St George's cathedral– sadly enough we were not allowed to take pictures inside or I would show you the magnificence and grandeur of it all. The estate rooms-the queens bedroom, the Kings bedchamber, kings drawing room, the Waterloo Chamber which has a very long table with chairs all around seating about 66 people for fancy banquets and events, and then the grand reception room was pretty incredible! It was all gold! With 3 big chandeliers. I talked to a worker security guard type of guy while in the castle – he taught me a lot about the difference between being knighted and becoming Sr. so and so apposed to becoming a knight of the garter – which is the highest honor that someone can receive in the UK. And one thing that is cool is anyone can become a knight of the garter! It is the queens choice. Of course she has a committee and such to help her- but she decides who gets this honor! I want it! So any kind of suggestions of particularly heroic things that I can do while I am in London would be good…at least I am guessing that heroic things are what will get me this honor…hummmm- any ideas? I have no idea- I will have to think about it.
this is one of the guards that was standing at one of the gates and let us take a picture with him - look at that gun! sheesh!

Tonight I went to a fringe theatre with Mel. This was true fringe that we went to! It was even above a bar! Little tiny theatre maybe fits 30 people. The stage was very small- but the size of the theatre had nothing to do with the quality of theatre that I saw tonight. The show we watched was called Painting a Wall it was 4 black men who were painters and has to get this job done- but they were given the wrong color of paint, as the show goes on with them painting a wall different personal, social, and political problems are brought to surface as the men talk, fight, argue, and cry with one another as the show progresses. It was a very heart wrenching piece that was VERY well done! The actors were 100% committed to their characters and they were all VERY convincing! I would have to say that this is the best acting that I have seen in London by far! It was a hard play dealing with difficult things and I was really impressed and very much enjoyed the show! I am glad that I went tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment