Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Stratford-Upon-Avon

One nice thing about staying in a B&B is the second of the 2 B’s, Breakfast! Espically here! A full English breakfast every morning! Its pretty awesome! Including- hot chocolate, fruit, toast, sausage, English bacon, eggs, beans. Yummy yummy!
After Breakfast we had a lot to do today!
Why you may ask did we take this little trip out to Stratford-upon-Avon? Well I actually asked the same question- cause I guess I am not up to par with my Shakespeare facts and history…well actually now I am, or at least I hope to be now more so than I was before.
Stratford-upon-Avon (which is called that because the Avon river runs through it- I call it this so it doesn’t get confused with the other Stratford that is closer to London and where I would go to church every week – so don’t be confused okay =)
So- Stratford-Upon-Avon is where Shakespeare was born! Yep so that is where we went first thing today after breakfast was to his birthplace. We got to walk through the house and there were some garden areas out side around the house- as we sat and waited after our little tour there were actors walking around the garden area and they started performing all kinds of Shakespeare monologues for us from different plays.. It was fun! Then Anna (who was one of the witches in Macbeth when I was stage managing last semester) did a witches monologue for everyone to join in on the fun- it was great!

We then went to the Nash house – which is Shakespeare’s daughters husbands house.
Once again there were more beautiful garden areas!


and there was a kid's corner kind of place in it with coloring and dress up too! - well you dress up these life-ish size paper dolls- ha! and we took pictures!


Then we went to Halls Croft- this is Shakespeare’s daughters 2nd husbands house. – this house was Really big- even for now-a-days standards it was big- so to have such a big house back then is very impressive!
Then we went to the church that Shakespeare is buried in. this is his grave:


We then had some free time – so Anne, Tracy and I wandered around town and found a little shanwich shop called the ‘jester sandwitch shop’ I had a really yummy sandwich there! Called Tikka chicken ( I think) we then walked around the boutiques in town and founf this little icrcream shop that I was really surprised at how inexpensive it was and was really happy cause we got ourselves some ice-cream to enjoy while we walked around town.
We walked ourselves down to the river and rented a boat. And we rowed ourselves down the river. It was fun!


We made it back in good time to go over the the theatre for tonight’s performance which was As You Like It. No crazy paper theme tonight – but there were some other fun and interesting aspects to this show. And they used a lot of trap doors- I really like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment